Thursday 2 August 2007

This is not the end but a transistion

Mike and I have received a lot of thanks for the journey we have travelled with Richard in recent months and the during his final illness. All I can say is that it was a privilege and a labour of love for both of us. But we have not been alone in this and have been so strongly supported by Richard's wonderful parishioners who have baked, gardened, prayed, and supported us. In particular, we have been supported by Sue Stephens, a parishioner and nurse who has also held down a full time job as a midwife and unstintingly given of her time and good cheer and constant words of encouragement and kindness. She has lifted both of us with her modest and understated devotion to us and more particularly to Richard as often as she was able, and sometimes well into the night.

It is important that all of you across the world know that whilst Richard carried the cross in the last few weeks, he remained mostly cheerful and we have laughed with him more often than we have cried.

He continued right until the last few days seeking to improve himself and prepare for death in a fitting way and when his strength totally failed him, he was still able to pray and help us to come to terms with what our lives would be without him. He remained affectionate and loving to the end of his life and when he recognised that he was dying, he welcomed it and prayed to Our Lady.

His inspiration in his last few weeks was Cardinal Hume and Pope John Paul and St Francis Xavier and he believed with a passion that he would look after all of us still, and rejoice one day with us in heaven.

What an amazing man and a wonderful priest.

We asked Liam Madden to set up this Blog for us some weeks ago and he has done a great job. He has also suggested that we should try in some way to carry on Richard's work and we will be meeting with him shortly to discuss how best we can achieve this so please do keep adding your own comments and keep an eye on the Blog in months to come for any ideas we want to take forward.

We may try in some way to publicise his writings and articles on the blog or by creating another website.

For the moment, I am going to continue his email address as there are still many hundreds of people we have not yet had a chance to contact so you can continue to send messages to the Blog or via his sullsds@aol.com address until further notice.

"Keep on, keeping on",

Helen

3 comments:

Christine said...

Dear Helen,

You are talking about publicising Richard's articles on the web etc. and carrying his work forward in other ways... So I'd just like to say that I would like to uphold my offer of collecting any audiovisual materials, photos etc. to compile a DVD - maybe we could also integrate texts from the book, from articles etc., many possibilities... Let me know if this may be of interest - so far I have only had one feedback, but if you think this could be a worth while project, I'm sure we should be able to find more people who have suitable materials. All the best - you are all always in my thoughts, Christine

Anonymous said...

Thanks Richard for teaching me the value of,,, YES,, "SMALLTALK!!!"

Smalktalk if done PROPERLY can build and cement a foundation for friendship, love and support.

Smalltalk is none threatning.

Smalltalk lets people know that you want to talk about their interests and passions.

Smalltalk lets people know that you want to listen.

Smalltalk lets people know if you want a cuppa tea and are too shy to ask.

OK,, I'm not expressing myself at all well but I think you all know what I mean!!!!

Anonymous said...

Richard will be forever in my heart. He taught me so much about life, love, myself and I loved him more than my own father. Rest in peace Richard. You'll be serving cottage soup in heaven. Save a bowl for me when I get there !
All my love AnneMariexxx